It all started on a trip to Missouri for my cousin Scott's wedding. We needed a movie to introduce Grady to for the long trip. We hadn't showed him much TV let alone a movie, but we decided he liked race cars and might really enjoy the movie Cars. He ended up loving the movie and his cousin Andrew ended up giving Grady one of his Lightning McQueen cars to cheer him up at Bob Evans while we were waiting for our food. It was then that the obsession began.
Lightning McQueen did not leave his hand for a full year.
He slept with him, ate with him, took him to the beach, pool, restaurants, took Christmas pictures with him, and watched the movie over and over again until all of the lines were memorized. We even had to buy another copy because we wore out the first one.
He even learned the lyrics to the song Life is a Highway, which is from the movie.
Slowly as he got older new obsessions began, Lightning and all his buddies got put away and there were only memories... had by Daddy and Mommy. Grady didn't even remember the movie or characters when we showed it to Cole the first time. How can something that BIG in your life be forgotten? I guess little minds don't hang on to that kind of thing. It was kind of familiar to him but not really. It kind of made me sad... until it began all over again with little brother.
Everytime we go upstairs he pulls out all of the McQueens and starts to race them and yell "Ah-chow"... I have to say it made me teary remembering this from before. Silly right? Just a movie, yes, but it's all the memories from that phase in Grady's life that come rushing back. I get to relive it all again and again. This makes my heart happy.
We REALLY like Lightning McQueen in our house... I am constantly hearing "Ah-chow" (Ka-chow) out of sweet Cole's little mouth and "A-Queen" for Lightning McQueen. Owen Wilson - if you are out there -- Thank you!
I guess of all the things to be obsessed with, I'm pretty glad it happens to be a really cute movie, with a really sweet story! So keep up the obsessions boys. This momma is happy reliving all the great memories that come right along with them!



Ahhh, how sweet. We just bought the Cars movie and are going to try for a family movie night soon. I'm pretty sure B will love it too!
ReplyDelete