Thursday, July 14, 2011

My Favorite Recipe

My very favorite recipe (that I can cook) is Pineapple Chicken Chunks.  I got it from my mom, who cooks it very well and she got it from ...???  I thought it would be fun to post the recipe with pictures and instructions so that if possibly any of you might want a new recipe, you could always try this one!  It is super yummy, filled with new veggies for your kids to try, pretty and not too difficult if you can cut, measure and stir.  It is also fun to serve when you have people over because most everyone likes chicken and most people have never had it before.  (Grady requested to eat bamboo for dinner since pandas are his favorite animal right now, and since it has bamboo... easy to fulfill that request!)  It also looks kinda fancy, I think!  Anyway here goes. 

Pineapple Chicken Chunks
Ingredients:
4-6 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
2 tablespoons oil
1/4 chopped onion or onion flakes
1/4 cup vinegar
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 cup pineapple juice (juice from can, save chunks)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 red pepper sliced, 1/2 green pepper sliced
1 can pineapple chunks (in own juice)
1 can water chestnuts
1 can bamboo shoots
1 handful frozen sugar snap peas

Directions:
Saute cut up chicken breasts and onion in a skillet with oil on medium heat until lightly browned and almost done.  Add liquid mixture (vinegar, soy sauce, pineapple juice) and add a 1/2 cup water.  Simmer for 10 minutes.  Add dry mixture (cornstarch, brown sugar, salt, ginger, pepper).  Stir well and simmer until thickened.  Add another 1/2 cup - 1 cup water, depending on how thick you want the sauce.  Add veggies and pineapple and cook for 5 more minutes.  Serve over white rice with crescent rolls.  
        
My mom's recipe she gave me when I got married
Peppers sliced (I usually use green and red)
Dry mixture
Liquid mixture
Chicken cooking

My cute little helper adding the veggies and pineapple

Shout out to the yummy, buttery, flaky, mouth-watering goodness!
I always have a can in the fridge...

I love me some Llano! 
A great Texas wine, try it if you haven't before!!!
These add a nice crunch
Dinner is served! 
I hope you enjoy this as much as my family does!
Please let me know if you try it and post your favorite recipe as well.
I would LOVE some new ideas!

Bon Appetite from my kitchen to yours!!!

1 comment:

  1. You are AWESOME! I am totally putting it on the menu for next week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete